Apple provides three routers, named the AirPort Express (99$ | ₹7,900), AirPort Extreme (199$ | ₹15,900) & the AirPort Time Capsule (2TB – 299$/₹24,500 | 3TB – 399$/₹32,500). The Airport Express is just a basic router with no additional functionality, mainly used for home purposes such as playing music or printing wirelessly. The AirPort Extreme, on the other hand, creates a high-speed network and also has an option to share an external Hard Drive or Printer at the back of the Apple Router. It is great for a large home or office environments with lots of devices connected at a single time. The Time Capsule has an inbuilt 2TB/3TB of storage along with the External Drive USB Port.
The AirPort Express has data speeds up to 300MBPS while the other two boast speeds up to 1.3Gbps. If you are an average consumer with normal Day to Day productivity tasks, we recommend opting for the AirPort Extreme. Most users can connect their own Portable Drives at the back of the Apple Router which can act as a media server (only on Desktop Devices).
- All three Apple Routers have Dual Antennae i.e they generate a 2.3GHz & 5GHz wireless networks (Simultaneous dual-band support).
- Attach external drives to your router even up to 6TB on a single USB Port (Tested).
- Very easy to set up the routers using Airport Utility even on windows.
- Great Looking router with a minimalistic look for home & office environments.
- AirPort Extreme & AirPort Time Capsule have 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- Support for 50 Devices at a single instance.
- Detects device location and beams signal to the device (Below image for representation)
- USB Port is 2.0 | Transfer speed is affected while moving large files.
- Only 1-year warranty.
- Few Additional Functionality than other routers in the market.
- No NTFS support for external Drives.
- Cannot back up Mac’s to an external drive using Time Machine.
There is no doubt that apple creates great product’s and the Airport Family is one of them. It is not cheap for an average consumer but if you are looking for a long term WiFi Router, opting for the Apple Airport Extreme will be the best decision you will make.