Sometimes you may want to rename multiple files and having to do it manually one at a time can seem like a tedious task. In this article, we will show two different ways to rename multiple files in Mac.
How to rename multiple files in Mac using Finder
1) Select the files you want to rename
2) Right-click and click on “Rename Items”
3) In Rename Finder Items dialog box, Click the drop-down and select “Format”
4) Now there are 4 options
- Click the Name Format drop-down and select “Name and Index”
- Next, Click the Where drop-down and select “after name”
- In Custom Format, type whatever you want your filename to be
- In Start numbers at, type “1”
(You can see the preview of your selection at the bottom left)
5) Click on Rename.
That’s it all your files will be renamed. Rename drop-down also provides two other options, Replace Text and Add Text. Replace Text works like Find and Replace, type the word you want to replace and the word you want to replace it with. Add Text allows you to either append or prepend a text to your existing file name.
How to rename multiple files in Mac using Automator
Automator is included in macOS and can be used for multiple things. In this article, we will make use of Automator to rename multiple files at once. Here’s how you do it,
- Open Automator either from Launchpad or by using Spotlight
- Select Workflow » click on Choose
- Under library in the first column, click on Files & Folders
- Next, drag and drop the files you want to rename in the upper right of the Automator window
- In the second column, double click on Rename Finder Items
- Now based on your preference, select Add or Don’t Add
- Click the drop-down and select Add Text or Replace Text
- To Add Text, type it in the textbox. You also have the option to append, prepend or add text as extension in the drop-down next to it
- To Replace Text, type the word you want to replace in Find text box and in Replace text box, type the word you want to replace it with
- Click Run in the upper right corner of the Automator and your files should be renamed
If you use any other way to rename multiple files in Mac, do let us know in the comment section below.