Huawei has unveiled its latest flagship Android smartphone for 2017, the Honor 9 at an event in Shanghai, China today. It surely looks pretty with its full glass design with metal sides. Honor 9 runs on a custom firmware EMUI 5.1 which is based on Android Nougat 7.0 It has a 5.15″ LTPS display panel on the front with a full HD resolution. The display comes with a DCI-P3 color space which has an extended range of colors than traditional RGB resulting in more rich and natural images. An active fingerprint scanner sits below the display which has built-in gesture support.
The Honor 9 is powered by its own in-house Kirin 960 SoC with ARM’s Mali-G71 GPU. It is the first SoC to use ARM’s Cortex A73 cores and has 10-12% faster CPU and around 180% faster GPU than the Kirin 950. For multi-tasking, it has 4GB or 6GB of LPDDR4 RAM. Huawei has gone with the 64GB or 128GB of internal storage which can be further expanded upto 256GB via MicroSD card. Do note that the Honor 9 uses a hybrid slot in which you can either use SIM1+MicroSD Card or SIM1+SIM2 simultaneously.
The Honor 9 boasts of a dual rear camera setup consisting of a 20MP sensor for capturing monochrome detail and a 12MP f/2.2 sensor for capturing colors. It has support for 2x Optical Zoom, Phase Detection Autofocus, 4K video recording and has a dual tone LED flash. An 8MP f/2.0 selfie camera sits on the front of the device which can capture 1080p video.
The Honor 9 supports Dual Nano SIMs with 4G/LTE networks, Dual Band WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth 4.2. It has NFC which can be used for payments via its own payment gateway the Huawei Pay. Last but not the least, Huawei isnt dropping the 3.5mm audio jack on the Honor 9! It comes with a USB Type-C connector for charging and data transfer. An infra-red blaster sits on the top of the device to control home appliances. As usual, it has all the necessary set of sensors such as gyroscope, accelerometer, compass, hall, proximity and ambient light. A 3200mAh battery powers the device which supports fast charging.
The Honor 9 is priced at 2299 Yuan for the 4/64GB variant, 2699 Yuan for the 6/64GB variant and 2999 Yuan for the 6/128GB variant. It will be available for sale 16th June onwards in China via vmall, JD, and other retailers. No details have been released yet for the global launch.
- Full Glass Build, Metal Sides
- Blue, Gray and Gold Colors
- 70.9mm x 147.3mm x 7.45mm, 155g
- Front Facing Fingerprint Scanner
- 5.15″, 1920×1080, LTPS LCD Display, 2.5D Curved Glass, DCI-P3 Gamut
- 16nm HiSilicon Kirin 960, 4x A73 @2.36GHz + 4x A53 @1.84GHz, i6 co-processor
- ARM Mali G-71 MP8, 1037MHz
- 4/6GB LPDDR4 RAM, Dual Channel, 1866MHz
- 64/128GB Internal Storage, UFS 2.1
- Hybrid MicroSD Slot, Expandable Up to 256GB
- 20MP+12MP Rear Cameras, f/2.2, PDAF, 2x Optical Zoom, Dual LED Flash
- 4K30fps Video Recording
- 8MP Front Camera, f/2.0 Aperture, Wide Angle Lens
- Hi6403 Audio Chip, Dual Noise Cancellation Microphones
- Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Compass, Hall, Proximity and Ambient Light Sensors
- Dual Nano SIM, 4G/LTE with VoLTE Support
- Dual Band WiFi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC, IR Blaster
- USB 2.0 Type-C Port, 3.5mm Audio Jack
- 3200mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery, 9V~5V/2A Fast Charging Adapter
- 4GB + 64GB: ¥2299 ~ ₹22000 ~ $340 ~ £267
- 6GB + 64GB: ¥2699 ~ ₹25500 ~ $400 ~ £313
- 6GB + 128GB: ¥2999 ~ ₹28400 ~ $440 ~ £348